Singapore Tops IMD’s Global Smart City Index 2020, Hyderabad top Indian City
* The Indian cities have witnessed a significant drop in their rankings in the Smart City Index 2020, a global list of smart cities, prepared by the Institute for Management Development (IMD).
* The index has been topped by Singapore, followed by Helsinki and Zurich as top three smart cities.
* In the 2020 Smart City Index, Hyderabad was the top Indian city, placed at the 85th position.
Mizoram ‘happiest’ state as per ‘India Happiness Report 2020’
* Mizoram has been ranked first in the India Happiness Report 2020 which is India’s first Happiness Report covering all states and Union Territories measuring happiness across the country.
* In the overall ranking, Mizoram is first, Punjab is second while Andaman & Nicobar Island is third.
* The report has been compiled by Professor Rajesh K Pillania based on a nationwide survey covering 16,950 people between March and July of 2020.
Chef Vikas Khanna Named for 2020 Asia Game Changer Award
* New York-based Michelin-star chef Vikas Khanna has been chosen to be honored with the prestigious 2020 Asia Game Changer Award for feeding millions across India amid the COVID-19 pandemic through a massive food distribution drive ‘FeedIndia’.
* The Asia Game Changer Awards was launched by the Asia Society, a US-based non-profit organization, in 2014, to identify and honor true leaders who make a positive contribution to the future of Asia.
Margaret Atwood awarded 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize
* Margaret Atwood has won the 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize’s lifetime achievement award. The award celebrates literature’s power to foster peace, social justice and global understanding. The Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award is named for the late U.S. diplomat who brokered the 1995 Bosnian peace accords reached in the Ohio city.
Udit Singhal named in UN’s 2020 list of Young Leaders
* Indian teenager Udit Singhal has been named in the 2020 Class of 17 Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). He has been named in the 2020 list of young leaders who promote sustainable development goals.
* Udit Singhal is the founder of Glass2Sand, an initiative that is based on a zero-waste ecosystem to tackle the challenge of glass waste in Delhi. This initiative has prevented empty glass bottles of getting dumped into landfills and turned it into sands, making it commercially viable.
India ranks 116th in World Bank’s Human Capital Index 2020; Top- Singapore
* India has been ranked at 116th position in the World Bank’s annual Human Capital Index 2020. India has an HCI score of 0.50. The index has ranked 174 countries.
* Singapore has been ranked first with an HCI score of 0.89.
India’s first terminal facility for chartered and jet planes launched at IGI Airport Delhi
* The Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) has launched India’s first exclusive General Aviation Terminal facility at Indira Gandhi International Airport, to handle the operations of chartered flights and private jet.
* The facility was inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri.
* The terminal has 57 parking bays and is capable of handling more than 150 private jets every day.
Fitch Solutions projects India’s GDP growth at -8.6% in 2020-21
* Fitch Solutions has revised downward its forecast for Indian economic growth and now estimates that India’s GDP will contract by 8.6% in 2020-21 (FY21)
* Earlier this was estimated at -4.5%.
* It has also forecasted a 5 percent year-on-year (y-o-y) growth in 2021 and 2022.
Former PM HD Deve Gowda Takes Oath as Rajya Sabha MP from Karnataka
* Former Prime Minister of India, Shri H D Deve Gowda took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha from Karnataka on 20 September 2020.
* The 87-year-old President of the Janata Dal (Secular) party was elected to the Rajya Sabha in June 2020.
* This is the first time that the JD(S) leader has become a member of the Upper House since 1996.