Current Affairs Pocket: 17-18 November 2020
PM Modi Unveils 12.6 ft ‘Statue of Peace’ in Rajasthan
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually unveiled the ‘Statue of Peace’ dedicated to Jain Monk Acharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwarji Maharaj.
* The 151-inch (12.6 ft) tall statue was inaugurated by PM Modi on 16 November, 2020 on the occasion of the 151st birth anniversary of Acharya Shree Vijay Vallabhsuri, at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali, Rajasthan.
* The Statue of Peace has been made from Ashtadhatu, which means 8 metals, and includes Copper as the major constituent.
Second Phase of Exercise Malabar 2020 Begins in Northern Arabian Sea
* The second phase of Exercise Malabar 2020 has been organised in the Northern Arabian Sea from 17 to 20 November 2020.
* The Phase 1 of Exercise Malabar 2020 was conducted in the Bay of Bengal from 03 to 06 November 2020.
* The second phase will witness joint operations, centered around the Vikramaditya Carrier Battle Group of the Indian Navy and Nimitz Carrier Strike Group of the US Navy.
RBI creates Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH) with Shri Senapathy (Kris) Gopalakrishnan as Chairperson
* The Reserve Bank of India has created a Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH). The aim of RBIH is to promote innovation across the financial sector by leveraging on technology and creating an environment which would facilitate and foster innovation.
* Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH) would be managed by a Governing Council (GC) consisting of 10 members (including a chairperson). Shri Senapathy (Kris) Gopalakrishnan, co-founder and former co-Chairman, Infosys, has been appointed as the first Chairperson of the RBIH.
* RBIH will collaborate with financial sector institutions, technology industry and academic institutions and coordinate efforts for exchange of ideas and development of prototypes related to financial innovations.
Equitas Small Finance Bank launches ‘Eva’ savings account for women; appoints Smriti Mandhana as brand ambassador
* Equitas Small Finance Bank (Headquarter-Chennai) has launched a women-centered product ‘Eva’.
* Eva is a unique savings account for women to address the well-being of Indian women in every aspect such as health, wealth and prosperity.
* The Bank has roped in Indian Woman cricketer Smriti Mandhana as the brand ambassador for its newly launched product ‘EVA’.
Nitish Kumar Sworn in as Bihar CM for seventh time in 20 years
* Nitish Kumar, the head of Janta Dal (United), has been sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the seventh time on 16 November 2020. This is the fourth successive year that he is being appointed to the post. He was first sworn in as CM in 2000.
* The 69-year-old Kumar, was administered the oath of office by Bihar Governor Phagu Chauhan at Raj Bhavan in Patna.
* 14 other ministers were also sworn in from which, seven are from BJP, five from JD (U) and one each from Vikassheel Insaan Party( VIP) and Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM).
* BJP legislature party leader Tarkishore Prasad and Deputy leader Renu Devi have been made the new Deputy Chief Ministers.
* The incumbent National Democratic Alliance (NDA) emerged as the winner with majority vote in the 2020 Bihar Assembly elections, by securing 125 seats in from 243 seats (needed 122 seats for a majority). Following the victory, Nitish Kumar was elected leader of the NDA and the 37th Chief Minister of the state.
Novak Djokovic lifts ATP Year-end No. 1 Trophy for 6th time; equals Pete Sampras’s record
* Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic was given the ATP Tour No. 1 trophy on 15 November 2020, for finishing 2020 as the year-end No. 1 (world number one).
* With this, he has become the only second player in tennis history, after Pete Sampras, to receive the trophy sixth time.
* Earlier Djokovic had finished as world number one in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2018.
* Before this, only Pete Sampras has managed to finish six years on top of the rankings which he did between 1993 and 1998.