IMF cuts World and India growth rates
* The World Bank-International Monetary Fund (IMF) annual meetings kicked off on a somber note, with the IMF downgrading global growth in 2019 to 3%, the slowest since the global financial crisis.
* India’s growth projections have also been downgraded to 6.1% and 7.0% in 2019 and 2020 respectively, down by 1.2 percentage points and 0.5 percentage points relative to April projections, owing to weaker than expected domestic demand. India’s growth rate in the April-June quarter had hit 5%, the lowest in six years, as per government data. Consumption, investment and exports were down.
* The IMF projected the U.S. would grow at 2.4% and 2.1% in 2019 and 2020 respectively. For China, growth was projected to grow at 6.1% and 5.8% in 2019 and 2020.
India ranked 102 in Global Hunger Index 2019
* The 2019 Global Hunger Index (GHI) indicates that the level of hunger and under nutrition worldwide falls into the serious category. As per the index, India ranks 102nd out of 117 qualifying countries, with a score of 30.3.
* India has slipped from 95th rank in 2010 to 102nd in 2019 on the Global Hunger Index (GHI), with the increase in the prevalence of wasting (low weight for height) among children with score under 5 contributing the most to the country’s poor performance. Seventeen countries, including Belarus, Ukraine, Turkey, Cuba and Kuwait, shared the top rank with GHI scores less than 5.
* There were only four countries in the alarming hunger category are Madagascar, Chad, Yemen and the Central African Republic in the extremely alarming hunger category.
Kishan Dan Dewal concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to Georgia
* Kishan Dan Dewal (IFS officer of 2003 batch), has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to Georgia. He will replace Yogeshwar Sangwan. Dewal is presently serving as Ambassador of India to the Republic of Armenia.
Anoop Kumar Mendiratta appointed as new Law Secretary
* Anoop Kumar Mendiratta has been appointed as the new Law Secretary (Secretary, Legal Affairs) in the Union Law Ministry. He is presently the District and Sessions Judge, North-East District, Karkardooma Courts, Delhi. * He will serve in the position till 30 March 2023, or until he attains the age of 60.
India wins four 2019 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation
* UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2019 were announced at a ceremony held in Penang, Malaysia.
* UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation announced recently where Indian bagged four awards in three categories. India’s Flora Fountain and three other landmarks in Mumbai are among the four sites that have been chosen from India.
* UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation were declared at a function held in Malaysia. Award of Merit has given to Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue and Our Lady of Glory Church. Award of Distinction has given to Vikram Sarabhai Library, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India.
Award of Distinction
• Vikram Sarabhai Library, Indian Institute of Management, (Ahmedabad) India
• Keyuan Garden (Suzhou) China
• Nelson School of Music, (Nelson) New Zealand
Award of Merit
• Our Lady of Glory Church (Mumbai) India
• Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue (Mumbai) India
• Tseto Goenpa (Paro) Bhutan
• Guyue Bridge (Zhejiang) China
• Lyttelton Timeball Station (Christchurch) New Zealand
• Flora Fountain (Mumbai) India
• Westpac Long Gallery (Sydney) Australia
• The 5s Classroom (Kew) Australia
• Liddell Bros. Packing Plant (Wuhan) China
New Design in Heritage Contexts
• Dry Pit Latrine in Jiaxian Ancient Jujube Garden (Shaanxi) China
• Joan Sutherland Theatre Passageway and Lift (Sydney Opera House) Australia
• The Mills (Hong Kong SAR) China
Mercedes’s Valtteri Bottas won 2019 Japanese Grand Prix
* Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas (Finland) won the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix held at the Suzuka International Racing Course in Suzuka in Mie Prefecture, Japan. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel (Germany) and Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton (Britain) were ranked at the 2nd and 3rd places respectively.