RBI Releases ‘Vision 2021’ For Payment Systems For ‘Cash-Lite’ Society
* Reserve Bank of India has released a vision document ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021’, with its core theme of ‘Empowering Exceptional E-payment Experience’ for ensuring a safe, secure, convenient, quick and affordable e-payment system.
* The move comes as the apex bank expects the number of digital transactions to increase more than four times to 8,707 crores in December 2021. It envisages achieving “a highly digital and cash-lite society” through the goal posts of competition, cost-effectiveness, convenience and confidence (4Cs).
India’s Overall Exports Registered Positive Growth Of 1.34% In April 2019
* According to the Ministry of Commerce & Industry data, India’s overall exports, combining Merchandise and Services, in April 2019 is estimated to be around 44 billion US dollars with a positive growth of 1.34% over April 2018.
* Overall imports in April 2019 is estimated to be around 53 billion dollars with a positive growth of 4.5% over the corresponding period of 2018. Taking merchandise and services together, overall trade deficit for last month is estimated at around nine billion dollars as compared to around seven billion dollars in the same period in 2018.
Nepali Sherpa Kami Rita Scales Mt Everest For 23rd Time; Creates World Record
* Nepalese Sherpa climber Kami Rita has scaled Mount Everest for a 23rd time, breaking his own record for the most successful ascents of the world’s highest peak. He first scaled Everest in 1994.
* He reached the 8,850-metre (29,035-feet) summit with other climbers via the Southeast Ridge route. He has also scaled several other peaks that are among the world’s highest, including K-2, Cho-Oyu, Manaslu, and Lhotse.
Sanjiv Puri Appointed ITC’s New Chairman
* ITC Managing Director Sanjiv Puri has been appointed as the chairman by the Board of Directors. His new designation will now be chairman and managing director. He has been the Managing Director since 2018.
* He was appointed on the board in December 2015 and as the CEO in February 2017. He is an alumnus of IIT Kanpur and the Wharton School of Business. He joined the ITC in 1986.