President Ram Nath Kovind remembers Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh on his birth centenary
* The Chief of the Indian Air Force during the 1965 war, World War II hero, post-retirement diplomat, the first Air Force officer to wear five stars, Marshal Arjan Singh remains an Indian legend.
* President KR Narayanan had conferred the five-star rank on Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh in January 2002.
India Successfully Test Fires Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile ‘Nirbhay’
* India has successfully test-fired first indigenously designed and developed long-range sub-sonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ from a test range in Odisha. The all-weather missile, has a 1,000-kilometre strike range. It can be launched from multiple platforms and is designed to carry conventional and nuclear warheads.
* The missile has been developed by Bengaluru-based Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a lab under Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and can be launched from multiple platforms.
Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo To Receive 2019 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize
* Reuters journalists, Kyaw Soe Oo, and Wa Lone have been selected for UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize 2019. Currently, they are serving 7-year prison sentences in Myanmar.
* They collected classified military records that revealed extrajudicial assassinations of Rohingya Muslims by the army in Rakhine State. The UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize will be given on May 2 as part of the observance of World Press Freedom Day (3 May) in Ethiopia.
Lewis Hamilton Wins Formula One’s 1,000th Race
* In motor racing, Lewis Hamilton won the Chinese Grand Prix for a record sixth time. He seized the overall lead from his Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas in Formula One’s 1,000th world championship race.
* The comfortable win was the 75th of Hamilton’s career, and second in a row. Valtteri Bottas was second for his team’s third one-two finish in as many races this season. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel took third place.
John Moore Won The World Press Photo Award 2019
* An image of a little girl crying, as she and her mother have been taken into custody by US border officials in Texas won the prestigious World Press Photo of the Year. Veteran Getty photographer John Moore took the picture in the Rio Grande Valley in June 2018.
* Dutch-Swedish photographer Pieter Ten Hoopen won the “World Press Photo Story of the Year Award” for the image of 2018 mass-migrant caravan to the US border.
Telugu Poet K Siva Reddy Selected For Prestigious Saraswati Samman 2018
* Telugu poet K Siva Reddy selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman 2018 for his collection of poetry titled Pakkaki Ottigilite.
* The award carries a cash prize of 15 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.
Digital Sukoon founder, Sudhanshu Kumar received Best Digital Agency award
* Digital Sukoon founder, Sudhanshu Kumar was honoured with the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Nobel Award by International Human Rights Council at Hotel Sea Princess Juhu Mumbai.
* Among the awardee, Digital Sukoon was the Best Digital Agency of the Year 2019 to receive the award.
* Yogesh Lakhani of Bright Outdoor Media, Actor Johnny Lever, Jasleen Matharu also received awards in various other categories.
Banks’ Credit Growth Up 13.24% in FY2019: RBI Data
* The financial year 2019 has ended on a relatively robust note for banks. They clocked a 13.23% year-on-year credit growth against 9.85% in FY2018. Deposit growth, at 9.99% year-on-year in FY2019, was also better than the 6.15% logged in FY2018, according to the Reserve Bank of India’s scheduled banks’ statement of position in India.
Shuttler Harsheel Dani Clinched Dutch International Badminton Title
* Former junior national champion Harsheel Dani rallied from a game down against Mads Christophersen of Denmark to clinch the Dutch International badminton title in The Hague, Netherlands.