Current Affairs Pocket : 16th – 18th Sep 2017
India and US armies begin ‘Yudh Abhyas 2017’ military exercise
- The 13th edition Yudh Abhyas 2017, a joint military training exercise between India and United States held at Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington.
- Yudh Abhyas is annual bilateral military exercise, alternately held by the two countries.
- Both sides jointly trained, planned and executed series of well-developed tactical drills for neutralization of likely threats that may be encountered.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Elected as Chair of the IOC Ethics Commission
- Former United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was elected as Chair of Ethics Commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a four-year term. Ban succeeds Youssoupha Ndiaye of Senegal whose term has come to an end.
- His appointment was proposed by the IOC Executive Board and was approved during the IOC Session in Lima with a 74-4 majority.
Airtel Payments Bank adds UPI on its platform
- Airtel Payments Bank has become the first payments bank in India to integrate the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on its digital platform.
- This will add to customer choice and convenience for making secure digital payments to online/offline merchants and making instant money transfers to any bank account in India.
- For UPI-based payments and transfers, customers are not required to furnish their bank details to enable transactions and can create easy to remember IDs, ensuring optimal data security, the company said.
Salman Khan honoured at Britain’s House of Commons
- Salman Khan received a Global Diversity Award at Britain’s House of Commons.
- The Global Diversity Award is given to people of immense stature in terms of diversity in the world, and he is certainly one of them.
- The Being Human NGO is run by the Salman Khan.
MPEDA Bags Rajbhasha Keerti Award
- The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) awarded National level Rajbhasha Keerti Award for the third consecutive year.
- MPEDA Chairman A Jayathilak received the award from Honourable President Ram Nath Kovind.
- This award has been given to MPEDA for the best Implementation of Official language in the organization.
Lewis Hamilton won Singapore Grand Prix
- Mercedes’ British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton registered his 60th career won at the Singapore Grand Prix.
- He defeated Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel score and reached the top of the table with 28 points.
- Daniel Ricciardo won the second place in the race.
PV Sindhu wins Gold at Korea Open Superseries Competition
- PV Sindhu becomes the first Indian to win Gold Medal at the Korea Open Super series Competition.
- She defeated Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in the women’s singles final.
- She was second Indian female shuttler to win Olympic medal after Saina Nehwal who had won a bronze medal in 2012 London Olympics.
- It was overall her third super series title of her career.
- She won 2016 China Super Series Premier and India Super Series and Syed Modi Grand Prix.