India Successfully Test-Fires Nuclear-Capable K-4 Missile Off Andhra Pradesh Coast
* India has successfully test-fired a 3,500 kilometre range nuclear capable missile that can be launched from a submarine. The test of the K-4 ballistic missile was conducted off the Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh.
* With this test, India has moved one more step towards the induction of this ballistic missile on the INS Arihant class of nuclear submarines. The missile was developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
* The three-metre-tall missile carries a nuclear warhead of over one tonne with a circular error probability far lower than that of Chinese ballistic missiles. Only the US, Russia and China have submarine-launched ballistic missiles of 3,500-kilometre range.
Captain Tania Shergill, first woman army officer to become parade adjutant for Republic Day
* Captain Tania Shergill, an officer with Army’s Corps of Signals, will be the first woman parade adjutant for the Republic Day parade. A parade adjutant is responsible for the parade. Commissioned in March 2017 from the Officer Training Academy, Chennai, Shergill is an electronics and communications graduate.
AP Maheshwari Appointed Director General Of Central Reserve Police Force
* Senior IPS officer AP Maheshwari was on Monday appointed as Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), according to a Personnel Ministry order.
* AP Maheshwari, a 1984 batch IPS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre, is at present Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Union Home Ministry.
* He has been appointed to the post up to February 28, 2021, i.e. the date of his superannuation, the order stated.
* The post of DG CRPF was lying vacant after RR Bhatnagar retired on December 31.
Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi to be conferred with 29th Saraswati Samman
* Eminent Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi will be conferred with 29th Saraswati Samman. He has been selected for this prestigious literary award for his short stories collection- Chequebook. This short stories collection talks about the agonies and sufferings of marginalized sections of the society.
* Saraswati Samman carries a cash award of 15 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque. Mr Mohi has authored 25 books of poetry, stories and translations. He has also received Sahitya Akademi Award.
Indian Army conducts biggest airborne exercise ‘Winged Raider’
* The Indian Army has conducted its biggest airborne exercise called the ‘Winged Raider’ comprising of more than 500 special forces troops in the North-Eastern theatre.
* The exercise aims to demonstrate the operational preparedness of the paratroopers and air warriors to undertake airborne missions.
It involved a large number of the Special Forces troops and all kind of air transport platforms of the Air Force.
* The newly inducted aerial platforms and equipment were also validated during the exercise with clockwise precision and seamless integration between the Army and the Air Force.
Sania Mirza wins women’s doubles title of WTA International trophy at Hobart
* India’s Sania Mirza and her Ukrainian partner Nadiia Kichenok won the women’s doubles title at WTA Hobart International tennis tournament in Australia.
* They beat Shaui Peng and Shuai Zhang of China 6-4,6-4. This is Sania’s 42nd WTA doubles title.
Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Rome Ranking Series
* Vinesh Phogat won her first gold medal of the 2020 season at the Rome Ranking Series event after teen sensation Anshu Malik settled for a silver in 57kg competition, in Rome.
* Vinesh downed two tough Chinese rivals on her way to the 53kg gold medal bout in which she overpowered Ecudor’s Luisa Elizabeth Valverde 4-0. She won by technical superiority against Khrystyna Bereza (10-0) and Lannuan Luo (15-5) before getting the better of Qianyu Pang (4-2).
Ratchanok beats Marin to claim Indonesia Masters title 2020
* Ratchanok Intanon won the first badminton title of the year in a 2-1 victory over former world number one Carolina Marin.
* Ratchanok took 80 minutes to take the women’s championship after defeating unranked Marin 21-19, 11-21, 21-18 to bag US$30,000 (900,000 baht) in the first trophy of the year.
* The win was her second title in the Indonesian tournament.
Dr. Sakya Singha Sen from CSIR-NCL received the Merck Young Scientist Award 2019
* A senior scientist Sakya Singha Sen from National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL) Pune, has been awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019” for doing remarkable research in chemical science.
* Sen and his research team specializes in main group chemistry and involves in the synthesis of compounds with main group element and their catalytic application. All the catalysts currently used mostly belong to precious metals platinum, palladium, iridium etc. These are very expensive and their abundance in the earth is very less.
Harish Salve appointed as Queen’s Counsel for England and Wales
* Senior Advocate Harish Salve has been appointed as Queen’s Counsel (QC) for the courts of England and Wales. Salve’s name featured in the list of silk appointments released by the UK Ministry of Justice.
* Salve and other appointees will be formally appointed as Queen’s Counsel on March 16 2020. The title of Queen’s Counsel is awarded to those who have demonstrated particular skill and expertise in the conduct of advocacy.
* Harish Salve did his LL.B. from Nagpur University and began his career with JB Dadachandji & Co. in 1980. He was designated as Senior Advocate by the Delhi High Court in 1992. Salve was called to Blackstone Chambers in 2013. He had represented India before the International Court of Justice in Kulbhushan Jadhav extradition case.
British Indian boy Ishwar Sharma wins ‘Global Child Prodigy Award’
A 10-year-old British Indian yoga boy Ishwar Sharma wins Global Child Prodigy Award. He was chosen from the UK for the awards which honour child prodigies from across 45 countries and 30 different categories such as palaeontology, biking, choreography, fitness and martial arts etc.
Ishwar Sharma also has the skill to chant up to 50 shlokas from the Vedas and ‘Bhagavad Gita’ and practices yoga. Sharma, originally from Mysore, has participated in over 100 yoga events across the UK and worldwide.
Odisha’s Puri District receives Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019
* Puri district has received the Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019. Actor Amir Khan has lauded district officials for their works at grassroot levels under Swachh Bharat Mission- Grameen.
* Additional Executive Officer of Puri Municipality, Saroj Kumar received the award on behalf of the district administration.
* The award ceremony was held during the Open Defecation Free Sustainability Workshop held in New Delhi. The workshop was organised by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) and Ministry of Jal Shakti.
* The Puri District of Odisha has been awarded for successfully managing the plastic wastes in the district with its effective policies by engaging the people of the town through awareness programmes, hence keeping the town’s environment pollution free.