Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh virtually lays foundation stone of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex in Jammu
* The Union Minister of State, Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh along with Youth Affairs & Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha laid the foundation stone for the construction of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex at Hiranagar, in Kathua district of Jammu & Kashmir through video conferencing on 12 September 2020.
* Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex will spread over 270 kanals of land and is being undertaken under the Prime Minister’s Development Package (PMDP) at an estimated cost of Rs.58.23 crore.
* The State of Art Sports Complex will be first of its kind sports complex in the Northern Region, having multiple sports facilities of international and national standards in one place.
S&P Global Ratings Projects India’s GDP at -9% in FY21 & 6% in FY22
* S&P Global Ratings has projected the GDP of India to contract by 9% in the fiscal year 2020-21 (FY21), as against its previous estimate of a 5% contraction, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
* For the Fy22 (2021-22), S&P expects GDP growth of 6%.
* For the Fy23 (2022-23), GDP is projected at 6.2%.
Rajesh Khullar appointed Executive Director at World Bank
* Rajesh Khullar has been appointed as Executive Director at World Bank. He is a 1988-batch IAS officer.
* Sameer Kumar Khare has been appointed Executive Director of the Asian Development Bank (ADB). He is a 1989-batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre.
* The order regarding this was issued by the Personnel Ministry.
Yoshihide Suga elected as Prime Minister-designate of Japan, to succeed PM Shinzo Abe
* Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga, has been elected as the new Chief of country’s ruling, Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and Prime Minister designate of Japan.
* Suga received maximum votes of 377 in the Party election, held to pick a successor to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who announced in August 2020 that he would resign due to health problems.
Aditya Puri conferred Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney 2020
* Aditya Puri, MD of HDFC Bank has been conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney Awards of Excellence 2020.
* He has been awarded for his skills in building a world-class bank in India at a time where there were no similar institutions in existence.
Dominic Thiem beats Alexander Zverev to win US Open 2020
* Dominic Thiem (Austria) defeated Alexander Zverev to win the US Open 2020 Men’s Single title and also his first Grand Slam title.
* Thiem defeated Zverev 2-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) in the finals held at Arthur Ashe Stadium, US.
* Thiem is also the first Grand Slam champion other than Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer.
ADB appoints Takeo Konishi as Country Director for India
* The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has appointed Takeo Konishi as its new Country Director for India.
* Konishi will replace Kenichi Yokoyama who has taken over as Director-General of ADB’s South Asia Department.
* India is the fourth-largest shareholder of ADB and has been its largest borrower since 2010.
Harivansh Re-elected Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
* Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as the deputy chairman of Rajya Sabha.
* Harivansh completed his term as a member of Rajya Sabha this year and hence there was a need for an election.
* M Venkaiah Naidu is the present Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Paytm ropes in Sachin Tendulkar as brand ambassador for its gaming platform ‘Paytm First Games’
* Paytm First Games (PFG), a subsidiary of digital financial service platform Paytm, has roped in Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar as its brand ambassador.
* Tendulkar would promote the gaming platform PFG and all its fantasy sports such as cricket, kabaddi, football, and basketball.
Amazon signs Amitabh Bachchan for its Alexa voice assistant
* Amazon.com Inc has signed up Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan for its Alexa voice assistant.
* Alexa users will be able to access Amitabh Bachchan’s voice on Alexa by purchasing the Amitabh Bachchan voice experience.
* He is the first Indian celebrity to lend his voice to Alexa.