“Bank of Ghana” wins Central bank of the year award 2020
* Bank of Ghana has won the Central bank of the year award 2020.
Apart from this, Mark Carney (Governor of the Bank of England) has won the Governor of the year at the Central bank of the year award 2020.
* Central Banking Awards is held annually to recognize excellence in the central banking community. This was the 7th edition of the award and the ceremony was held virtually.
HDFC Bank partners with Apollo Hospitals to launch ‘The HealthyLife Programme’ for its customers
* India’s leading private sector bank, HDFC Bank and Apollo Hospitals have collaborated to launch a holistic healthcare solution, ‘The HealthyLife Programme’, exclusively for HDFC Bank customers, to make healthy living accessible and affordable while making the process convenient and easy for the customers.
* Under the programme, customers will get round the clock access to emergency Apollo Doctor at No Cost on Apollo’s digital platform, Apollo 24|7.
* It will also come with various other benefits such as choice of payment options and ease of finance for treatments at all Apollo Hospitals.
Customers can avail unsecured loans of up to Rs. 40 lakh to pay for medical expenses incurred at the healthcare chain.
Cabinet approves Rs. 5718 crore World Bank-supported STARS project for Improving School Education
* The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved the implementation of the Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States (STARS) project, as a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme under Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education for improving the quality of education, in the Indian School Education System.
* Outlay: The total project cost is Rs 5718 crore with the financial support of World Bank amounting to US $ 500 million (approximately Rs. 3700 crore).
The project will cover 6 States namely Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Odisha.
Russia Approves Second COVID-19 Vaccine EpiVacCorona, After Sputnik V
* Russia has announced the launch of a second Covid-19 vaccine, named ‘EpiVacCorona’, after early-stage studies.
* ‘EpiVacCorona’ has been developed by the Vector Institute in Siberia and tested among 100 volunteers in early-stage, placebo-controlled human trials.
* In August 2020, Russia launched world’s first Covid-19 vaccine Sputnik V, and became the first country to give regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine.
Odisha Launches ‘Sujal’ Mission To Provide Tap Water Fit For Drinking in Urban Areas
* Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated “Sujal”- ‘Drink from Tap Mission’ scheme on 13 October 2020, to provide round the clock supply of quality tap drinking water in all urban areas of the state.
* The state has set the target to provide piped water connections to all urban areas in the state by March 2022.
* Odisha government has set Rs 1300 crore for this scheme which will benefit over 15 lakh people in 15 towns in a phased manner.
* Once fully implemented, Odisha will become the first state in the country to provide quality drinking water, fit for direct consumption, in urban areas.
World Economic Forum shifts annual meeting 2021 from Davos to Lucerne
* The World Economic Forum (WEF) has announced that the Annual Meeting 2021 will be held in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland, as against the traditional venue of ski resort town Davos.
* The meeting has been re-scheduled to be held from May 18 to 21, 2021 instead of the usual January-end each year.
* The change in schedule and venue has been taken due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
* The Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock will be held around the theme of ‘The Great Reset’.