Current Affairs Pocket : 14th – Sep 2018
Samsung Opens World’s Largest Mobile Experience Centre In Bengaluru
- After launching the world’s largest mobile phone-manufacturing factory in Noida in July 2018, Samsung has now opened its biggest experience centre in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Opera House, the 33,000 sq ft iconic building in the city’s central business district, has been given a face lift to showcase Samsung’s mobile devices and other consumer electronic products.
- It has a service centre for phones and is equipped with high-speed public Wi-Fi. A customer will be able to enjoy VR experiences such as the 4D sway chair or the Whiplash Pulsar 4D chair that makes 360 degrees three-dimensional movements.
Justice Ranjan Gogoi Appointed Next Chief Justice Of India
- The President of India has appointed Justice Ranjan Gogoi as the next Chief Justice of India. He will assume the office of Chief Justice on 3rd October, 2018 after the retirement of the current Chief Justice, Justice Dipak Misra.
- Justice Gogoi was enrolled as an advocate in 1978. He practised in the Gauhati High Court on constitutional, taxation and company matters. He was appointed as a Permanent Judge of the Gauhati High Court on 28th February 2001.
PM Modi Announces Launch Of ‘Swachhata Hi Seva Movement’
- To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of ‘Swachhata Hi Seva Movement’.
- The mission, which also celebrates the fourth anniversary of the Swaccha Bharat Mission will take place across the length and breadth of the country and will continue till Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary on October 2. The initiative will see people from all walks of life taking part in various cleanliness drives across the length and breadth of the country.
G-20 Trade And Investment Ministerial Meeting Held In Argentina
- Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu participated in G-20 trade and investment ministerial meeting at Mar del Plata in Argentina. Issues including increasing protectionism challenges to promote global commerce and the new industrial revolution were discussed at the meeting.
- The members of the G20 include Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.
Cabinet Approves New Umbrella Scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan’
- The Union Cabinet approved new Umbrella Scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan, PM-AASHA. The Scheme is aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to the farmers for their produce as announced in the Union Budget for 2018 the announcement was made by the Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh in New Delhi. The Cabinet has decided to give additional government guarantee of Rs.16,550 crore making it Rs. 45,550 crore in total.