Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra in New Delhi renamed as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan
* Government has decided to rename Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra in New Delhi as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan and Foreign Service Institute in the national capital as Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
* The announcement was made by the Ministry of External Affairs on the eve of the birth anniversary of Mrs Swaraj and in the honour of the legacy and decades of public service of the former External Affairs Minister. The MEA said, it is solemn tribute to the invaluable contribution of Mrs. Swaraj to Indian diplomacy, the cause of the Indian diaspora and the ethos of public service.
Induslnd Bank tops in highest growth in brand value among top global banks
* Induslnd Bank has topped the list of highest increase in brand value among global banks, according to The Banker’s Top 500 Banking Brands 2020 report.
* As per the report, the brand value of Induslnd Bank has increased by 122% over the past 1 year. This is the highest growth for any bank across the world.
* As a part of the report, the list “Top 50 By Total Brand Value by Country” has been topped by China, followed by United States (US) at 2nd position while Canada and the United Kingdom (UK) ranked at 3rd and 4th spots. Japan has moved up to the fifth spot. India ranked 8th in this list in comparison to 10th place in 2019. India’s brand value is 26,516 $m in 2020 showing an increase of 13% in comparison to 23,409 $m in 2019.
Rishi Sunak honoured to be appointed as UK’s new Finance Minister
* Indian-origin British MP Rishi Sunak has been appointed as the Finance Minister of the United Kingdom. He will replace Pakistani Chancellor Sajid Javid. Now three Indian origin Members of Parliament are a part of Britain’s most diverse cabinet led by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Along with Rishi Sunak, Priti Patel has been appointed as the Home Minister and Alok Sharma has been appointed as the Business Secretary in the British Cabinet.
Manpreet Singh first Indian to bag 2019 FIH Men’s Player of the Year award
* Indian hockey team captain Manpreet Singh bagged the 2019 FIH Men’s Player of the Year award. Singh has become the first member of the India national team to win the Best Player award since the award was initiated in 1999. He was up against Belgium’s Arthur van Doren and Lucas Vila of Argentina, who finished second and third respectively.
* In 2019, Manpreet Singh led his team to victory in the FIH Olympic Qualifiers and secured a spot at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. He represented India at London 2012 and Rio 2016.