JNU to confer alumni award to Union Ministers Nirmala Sitharaman and S Jaishankar
* Jawaharlal Nehru University will confer the distinguished alumni award to Union Ministers Nirmala Sitharaman and Subrahmanyam Jaishankar. Executive Council of the University has approved a proposal in this regard. * The two ministers will be awarded during the third convocation of JNU to be held in August this year.
* Ms. Sitharaman had completed her MA and M Phil degrees while Mr. Jaishankar completed his M Phil and doctoral research form JNU.
Reckitt Names Pepsico’s Laxman Narasimhan As CEO
* British consumer goods giant Reckitt Benckiser named PepsiCo executive Laxman Narasimhan to succeed Rakesh Kapoor as chief executive officer. Narasimhan, PepsiCo’s global chief commercial officer, will join Reckitt as CEO-designate and be appointed to the board on July 16. He will become group CEO on September 1.
Amitav Ghosh becomes first english writer to get Jnanpith award
* Renowned author Amitav Ghosh was awarded the 54th Jnanpith Award for his contribution to the enrichment of Indian Literature in English. He was conferred the award by former governor of West Bengal Gopalkrishna Gandhi.
India successfully test fires hypersonic cruise missile
* India successfully conducted a first test flight of the indigenously developed Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) from a base off the Odisha coast. The only other countries that possess this technology are the US, Russia and China.
* The HSTDV is an unmanned scramjet (allowing supersonic combustion) demonstration vehicle that can cruise up to a speed of mach 6 (or six times the speed of sound) and rise up to an altitude of 32 km in 20 seconds.
* It has a range of uses, including missiles of the future, and energy-efficient, low cost and reusable satellite-launch vehicle.
Priyanka Chopra to be honoured with humanitarian award by UNICEF
* Priyanka Chopra, a global UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights is going to be honoured with Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award by UNICEF at the UNICEF SNOWFLAKE BALL.