Current Affairs Pocket : 13th June 2017
Kolkata to get India’s first underwater Metro
- Kolkata, the ‘City of Joy’ is about to experience a wonder in the form of an underwater Metro train which will run beneath the Hooghly river. It’s one of the path-breaking projects in India as never before a tunnel has been dug beneath a flowing river.
- The entire project is 16.6 km long, out of which 10.8 km runs under the ground. Of this 10.8 km, 502 meters is under the water. The project connects Howrah to the west and Salt Lake to the east. The stretch of 16.6 km will have 12 stations, six of which will be under the ground, while the remaining six stations will be on elevated tracks.
- The train is said to run without a driver. The train would carry around 1,000 passengers in one go and will have six air-conditioned coaches. With the cost of Rs 60 crore, the project is expected to be completed by December 2019.
Indian girl bags Little Miss Universe Internet 2017 crown at Little Miss Universe in Georgia
- A 12-year-old Padmalaya Nanda from Odisha has created history by becoming the youngest girl to bag the “Little Miss Universe Internet 2017” and “Little Miss Actress” crowns at the Little Miss Universe 2017 at the port city of Batumi in Georgia.
- This is the first time that a 12 yr Indian girl has won this beauty pageant title. She will now participate in the “Little Miss World 2017” competition that will be held at Greece from Sept 25 to Oct 1, 2017. The award received by the girl was a golden crown which is valid only for a year and will be returned to the Little Miss Universe 2018 competition.
Men’s Tennis ATP Rankings: Rafael Nadal moves up to No.2
- Rafael Nadal has increased his rankings by two spots to stand at No.2 in the ATP rankings which is his highest since October 2014.
- Previous year French Open champion Novak Djokovic has moved from second place to fourth place in the ATP rankings, which is his lowest ranking in seven years. Incidentally, Novak Djokovic got knocked out in quarter finals of the French Open.
Men’s Tennis ATP Current Rankings:
* First Rank: Andy Murray (Great Britain)
* Second Rank: Rafael Nadal (Spain)
* Third Rank: Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland)
* Fourth Rank: Novak Djokovic (Serbia & Montenegro)
* Fifth Rank: Roger Federer (Switzerland)
Poet, essayist Haraprasad Das gets Kalinga Literary Award
- Legendary poet and essayist Haraprasad Das was conferred with the covetous Kalinga Literary Award for his work and contribution to literature at the fourth edition of Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF).
- The three-day literary festival was inaugurated by Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. This year the KLF introduced two new awards — the Kalinga International Literary Award, which was received by Anand Neelakantan for his contribution towards literature, and the Kalinga Karubaki Award, which was given to Paramita Satpathy for her contribution to Odia poetry.
Bihar’s ‘Project Jal Sanchay’ Chosen for National Award
- ‘Project Jal Sanchay’, a water conservation model which is successfully adopted in Nalanda district of south-central Bihar, has been chosen for the national award for excellence in the Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee programme (MGNREGP) by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The award will be conferred on June 19 at a function held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
‘Jitu Rai-Heena Sidhu clinch gold medal in ISSF World Cup
- India’s Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu combined to clinch the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the ISSF World Cup, beating Russia in the final in Gabala, Azerbaijan. France beat Iran by an identical score to win the bronze in the event.
- 430 athletes from 45 countries are competing for medals in the ongoing World Cup, which is the last chance for rifle and pistol shooters to qualify for the ISSF World Cup Finals.
Lewis Hamilton wins Canadian Grand Prix for Sixth Time
- Lewis Hamilton has won Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada. It is Hamilton’s sixth victory at the Canadian Grand Prix. Previously, he had won the titles in 2007, 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2016. It is also his third victory this season and the 56th of his career.
- The Canadian Grand Prix is an annual motor racing event held in Canada since 1961. The race is a part of the Formula One World Championship from the year 1967.