LIC Housing Finance launches new home loan product
- LIC Housing Finance launched a new product `Griha Siddhi‘ which will offer loans for construction, purchase of the house or flat and repairs or renovation to the existing properties.
- Under the new product, borrowers will be offered the interest rate of 8.40% up to Rs 25 lakh and for loans up to Rs 1 crore the interest rate will be 8.50% per annum. For women borrowers, the mortgage lender is offering a special interest rate of 8.35% for loans up to Rs 25 lakh.
SBI revises service charges; to charge ATM withdrawals at Rs. 25
- State Bank of India (SBI) has announced another revision in service charges with effect from June 1, 2017. All cash withdrawals through ATM will now be charged at Rs. 25 per transaction. Only RuPay classic card will be issued for free.
- State Bank of India has clarified that the proposed hike in ATM withdrawal charges will be applicable only to customers of its mobile wallet State Bank Buddy.
India test-fires ‘Spyder’ surface-to-air missile from Odisha test range
- India test fired a surface-to-air missile ‘Spyder’ from a test range at Chandipur in Odisha as part of missile launch practice of a series of tests of the short-range quick reaction.
- Spyder ( Surface-to-air PYthon and DERby) is an acquired missile system from Israel which is a short-range quick reaction surface-to-air missile to neutralize enemy targets up to a distance of 15 km and at heights between 20-and-9,000 meters.
Chanda Kochhar receives Woodrow Wilson Award
- ICICI Bank chief Chanda Kochhar has become the first Indian woman to be conferred with the prestigious Woodrow Wilson Award for Global Corporate Citizenship.
- She received the annual award which was instituted in 1998 by the prestigious Wilson Center to felicitate individuals whose actions and accomplishments either in their careers or through service.
Amitabh Bachchan appointed WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Hepatitis
- Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan has been appointed by the World Health Organisation as its Goodwill Ambassador for Hepatitis in South-East Asia Region to spread awareness about the disease.
- This is the first formal association between WHO and Amitabh Bachchan, who served as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Polio in India.
Lewis Hamilton Wins Spanish Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish Grand Prix from pole position in the Formula One championship. This is Hamilton’s 55th career win and second win of the season.
- Mercedes’s Hamilton finished 3.4 seconds ahead of Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel. Third position was occupied by Australian Daniel Ricciardo.
Arjun Maini becomes First Indian to Win a GP3 Race
- The 19-year-old Motorsports’ Indian driver Arjun Maini, who drives for Jenzer Motorsport, has become the first Indian to win a GP3 Series (a feeder series to GP2) race at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.
- Arjun Maini is supported by JK Racing and TVS. This victory has moved Arjun Maini into third place in the driver’s championship standings after completion of the first round of the eight-round GP3 series. He has 23 points. Nirei Fukuzumi of Japan leads the championship standings with 29 points, followed by Alessio Lorandi of Italy with 25 points.
Rafael Nadal wins 5th Madrid Open title
- Rafael Nadal beat Dominic Thiem to win his fifth Madrid Open title and move into the world’s top four.
- In Madrid he battled past a determined Dominic Thiem of Austria to win the crown in straight sets 7-6, 6-4. For the 14-times Grand Slam Winner, it was also the 72nd tournament win of his career.
VVS Laxman awarded honorary life membership by MCC
- VVS Laxman awarded with an honorary life membership by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- The elegant Hyderabad batsman becomes the fifth Indian to receive the honour after fellow stalwarts, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and Zaheer Khan.
Light Combat aircraft Tejas successfully test-fires air-to-air missile
- Light combat aircraft ‘Tejas‘ has successfully demonstrated an Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile firing capability by releasing Derby Air-to-Air BVR missile in RADAR guided mode.
- The objective of the test was to assess the Derby integration with aircraft systems on-board Tejas including the aircraft avionics, fire-control radar, launchers and Missile Weapon Delivery System and to verify its performance. The test was conducted on a Maneuverable Aerial Target at the Interim Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.