Anshula Kant has been appointed as next MD and CFO of the World Bank Group
* The World Bank Group announced that Anshula Kant, an Indian national, has been appointed as its next MD and CFO on 12 July. Anshula Kant is the first woman CFO of the Bank. She will be responsible for financial and risk management. She will be working with Kristalina Georgieva, the Bank’s CEO, to mobilise financial resources.
Vikas Swarup appointed Secretary of Overseas Indian Affairs
* Senior diplomat Vikas Swarup appointed as Secretary, (consular, passport, visa and Overseas Indian affairs) in the External Affairs Ministry
* According to an order issued by the Personnel Ministry .
* His appointment will come into effect from August 1, 2019.
* He has been appointed as the Secretary, (consular, passport, visa and Overseas Indian affairs) in the External Affairs Ministry. It is an effect from August 1, 2019.
Meghalaya becomes 1st state to ensure water conservation
* Meghalaya became the first state in India to ensure the conservation of water and have own water policy following a nod given by the State Cabinet. The draft policy was approved by the State Cabinet in a meeting chaired by Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma.
* It is historic for Meghalaya as the state has become the first state in the country to have a State Water Policy.
Chandrakant Kavlekar to be the new Deputy CM of Goa
* Chandrakant Kavlekar to be the new Deputy Chief Minister of Goa. He will replace Vijai Sardesai as the deputy chief minister of Goa.
Sreeshankar wins gold at Tatyana Kolpakova International Athletics
* M. Sreeshankar has won the long jump gold at the Tatyana Kolpakova International athletics. The tournament was held in Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan).
Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win first Wimbledon title
* Simona Halep won her first Wimbledon title and crushed Serena Williams’ latest bid for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam success with a devastating 56-minute display of athleticism. The Romanian won 6-2 6-2 in front of an incredulous Centre Court, running after everything the American threw at her.
England scripts history, claims maiden ICC World Cup title 2019
* The ICC Cricket World Cup is the international championship of One Day International (ODI) cricket (50-over cricket) organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC) every 4 years. The 12th edition of the world’s biggest cricketing event, the ICC Men’s cricket World Cup 2019, was played in England and Wales.
* England lifted the ICC Cricket World Cup Trophy 2019 at the Lord’s cricket stadium in London. England defeated New Zealand with more number of boundaries in the Super Over thriller in the grand finale of ICC Cricket World Cup Trophy 2019.
* Player of the tournament: Kane Williamson (New Zealand).
* Player of the Match Award: Ben Stokes (England).
* Highest run scorer of the tournament: Rohit Sharma (India).
* Highest wicket taker of the tournament: Mitchell Starc (Australia).
Boxer Vijender Singh wins 11th consecutive pro bout
* Boxer Vijender Singh remained an unstoppable force, clinching a Technical Knockout over Mike Snider on his debut in the US professional circuit at Newark in the US. The 33-year-old from Haryana prevailed in four rounds for his 11th consecutive victory in the circuit.
Lewis Hamilton wins sixth British Grand Prix
* Lewis Hamilton made a thrilling victory in the Silverstone circuit to win his sixth British Grand Prix, his seventh victory in ten races in 2019 and the 80th win of his career.
Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Yasar Dogu International
* India wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won her second consecutive gold in 53kg, at Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul. Phogat beat her Russian opponent Ekaterina Poleshchuk in the final match to bag the gold medal.
Mexico wins CONCACAF Gold Cup final
* Mexico defeated USA to claim their eighth CONCACAF Gold Cup title.
Jonathan Dos Santos scored the winning goal in 73rd min for Mexico in the thrilling final.
* The teams met five previous times in the Gold Cup final, but this year’s edition held additional value:
* The Americans had a chance to reestablish confidence in a program haunted by its failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.