Jamia Millia Islamia gets its First Woman Vice-Chancellor
* The Ministry of Human Resources and Development issued a statement about appointing
* Professor Najma Akhtar as vice–chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia University (JMI) by the President of India.She is appointed for a period of five years.
* Professor Najma Akhtar will be the first woman to hold the post.
IMF cut India growth forecast for 2019-20 to 7.3 per cent
* According to the latest edition of World Economic Outlook (WEO), released by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) during 2019 Spring Meeting, India is expected to grow at 7.3 per cent in fiscal year 2019-20, as against China’s 6.6 per cent.
* This is 20 basis points lower than January outlook and 10 basis points lower than October’s forecast.
* Though the growth is estimated to go up at 7.5% during 2020-21.
India’s Current account deficit is seen at around 2.5% of GDP.
Global growth fell to 3.6% in 2018 and is projected to decline further to 3.3% in 2019.
Nitin Chugh likely to be appointed as MD & CEO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
* Nitin Chugh, digital banking head of private sector lender HDFC Bank, is likely to succeed Samit Ghosh, the Managing Director and Chief Executive of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank. Mr.Ghosh, who is also the founder of Ujjivan SFB, will retire in November 2019.
* The Bengaluru-based small finance bank has already applied to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for approval to appoint Mr.Chugh as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer. Mr.Chugh has over 23 years of experience.
Gargi Kaul Appointed Secretary of Defence Finance
* In a bureaucratic reshuffle, the Centre has appointed Gargi Kaul as Secretary, Defence Finance. She is a 1984-batch officer of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS). Kaul was earlier Financial Advisor, Defence Services in the Defence Ministry.
Benjamin Netanyahu Re-Elected as Israel’s Prime Minister
* Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has won a fifth term in office. His closest opponent’s party the Blue and White party conceded defeat, clearing the path for Netanyahu to set up a coalition government.
* Netanyahu is now set to be the longest-serving prime minister in Israeli history even longer than David Ben-Gurion, the country’s first prime minister, who’s often described as “Israel’s George Washington.”
Jean Michel Lapin Announced As Haiti’s New Prime Minister
* President Jovenel Moise announced that Jean Michel Lapin will be the new prime minister of Haiti. It is French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.
* Lapin, who had been serving as acting prime minister ever since 93 of the 103 members of the Chamber of Deputies voted in favour of removing Prime Minister Jean-Henry Ceant, last month, was reportedly one of three people who had been considered for the permanent position.
Dr A K Singh Conferred With Lifetime Achievement Award
* Dr. A K Singh, director at Life Sciences, DRDO has been honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 during 4th APJ Abdul Kalam Innovation Conclave at Chandigarh University, Mohali.
* He has made notable contributions in Internal Decorporation of Fission Produced Radionuclides and Infection Imaging. To detect the infectious lesion, he discovered a “Diagnobact” Kit and also introduced Pharmacosyntigraphy.
Gelete Burka and Abrha Milaw Win Paris Marathon
* Ethiopian athletes Gelete Burka (women’s race) and Abrha Milaw (men’s race) won the 43rd edition of the Paris Marathon. They led a record 60,000 participants to the finish line through the French capital. Milaw won the men’s race with a time of 2 hours: 07 minutes and: 50 seconds. Burka was the fastest woman with 2 hours: 22 minutes and: 48 seconds.
Russia honours PM Narendra Modi with its highest civilian award
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi honoured with Russia’s highest state decoration, the Order of St Andrew the Apostle.
* The award has been given to PM Modi for “exceptional services in promoting a special and privileged strategic partnership between the Russian Federation and the Republic of India and friendly relations between the Russian and Indian peoples.
* This is the seventh award conferred on PM Modi by a foreign country.
Deepa Malik honoured with New Zealand Prime Ministers Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019
* Rio Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik was named as the recipient of the New Zealand Prime Minister’s Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019 in recognition of her “inspiring achievements“.
* She became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympic Games when she bagged a silver in shot put F 53 at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, scoring her personal best of 4.61m.
* She will work to promote sporting, cultural as well people-to-people relationship between India and New Zealand.