BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise in Bhubaneswar
* Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated Seven Nation BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise – 2020, which will take place from February 11 to 13.
* The exercise is being organised by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) in Odisha, on behalf of the Government of India.
* Representatives of BIMSTEC member countries from Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar and India participating in the exercise, Bhutan and Thailand are not participating this time.
* The objective of this exercise is to test the existing emergency procedures for notification, preparedness and emergency response, during a major earthquake and flood scenarios and to enhance the coordination and co-operation involving multi-agency operations in an earthquake, flooding and storm surge.
Gulmarg to host national winter games from March 7
* The world famous ski destination Gulmarg in Kashmir is all set to host the five-day national winter games from March 7 under ‘Khelo India’, a national programme for the development of sports in the country. Sports secretary Sarmad Hafeez reviewed arrangements for the mega event with concerned departments and stakeholders.
* There will be 30 events under four disciplines including snowboarding, snow skiing, cross country and snowshoe in which players from across the country would participate.
Arvind Kejriwal to take oath as Delhi Chief Minister on February 16
* Aam Aadmi party bagged 62 of the 70 seats in the Delhi Assembly elections, party convenor Arvind Kejriwal will take oath as the chief minister on February 16. The entire cabinet will take oath along with the CM-designate Arvind Kejriwal. The ceremony will begin at 10 AM on 16th February at Ramlila Maidan. This will be his third time as the CM. After he took oath in 2013 and remained on the post for just 49 days, Kejriwal completed his full five-year tenure following his election in 2015.
JVM(Prajatantrik) to merge with BJP on February 17
* The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik) led by Babulal Marandi announced its decision to merge with the BJP on February 17. The former Jharkhand chief minister said, Union Home Minister Amit Shah and BJP president J P Nadda will be present at the merger ceremony at Prabhat Tara maidan here on February 17.
* Babulal Marandi is also the President of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Democratic). He decided to break away from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) about thirteen years ago and formed his new party.