Janani Suraksha Yojana pays dividends: Study
- The new study Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) has played important role in reducing ‘socioeconomic disparities’ existing in maternal care.
- The study was conducted by researchers from Delhi based National Council of Applied Economic Research.
- This is for first time study has shown JSY has reduced socioeconomic inequalities in maternal care compared to earlier studies which showed impact of JSY in reducing maternal mortality.
Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom win 2016 Nobel Prize in Economics
- Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom were awarded the 2016 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science for their work on improving the design of contracts, the deals that bind together employers and their workers, or companies and their customers.
- Oliver Simon D’Arcy Hart is a British-born American economist and the Andrew E. Furer Professor of Economics at Harvard University.
- Bengt Robert Holmström is a Finnish economist who is currently Paul A. Samuelson Professor of Economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting held at Jaipur
- 4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting was held at Jaipur, Rajasthan on 8 October, 2016 to strengthen the collaboration amongst the BRICS countries in the areas of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI).
- Theme – Building, Responsive Inclusive and Collective Solutions
- The Jaipur Declaration was adopted by all the BRICS countries. The member countries resolved to intensify, diversify and institutionalize STI cooperation through the BRICS research & innovation initiative.
India ranks 97/118 in global hunger index
- With 15 per cent of the country’s population ‘undernourished’, India has been ranked 97 out of 118 countries on the 2016 Global Hunger Index (GHI) released on 11th Oct. by International Food Policy Research Institute’s (IFPRI).
- At 97th position, India is behind other South Asian countries like Nepal (72), Sri Lanka (84) and Bangladesh (90).
- However, India is ahead of Pakistan which has been ranked 107th on the Global Hunger Index. China, at 29th position, is way ahead of all other South Asian countries.
- India was ranked 80 out of 104 countries the previous year.
- The 2016 Global Hunger Index (GHI) suggests that 38.7 per cent of Indian children under five years of age are stunted due to lack of food.
- According to the authors of the Global Hunger Index (GHI), if the current rate of decline continues, more than 45 countries — including India, Pakistan, Haiti, Yemen, and Afghanistan — will have “moderate” to “alarming” hunger scores in the year 2030.
- The Index further points out that another 43 countries, including India, Nigeria and Indonesia, have “serious” hunger levels.
Telangana Government creates 21 new districts
- Telangana, carved out of Andhra Pradesh, came into existence on June 2, 2014 as the 29th state of India with 10 districts.The state government carried out the biggest administrative reform, creating 21 new districts.
- The total number of districts in the state went up to 31 from 10.
- The new districts are Siddipet, Jangaon, Jayashankar, Jagtial, Warangal (Rural), Yadadri, Peddapally, Kamareddy, Sangareddy, Mancheriyal, Vikarabad, Rajanna, Asifabad, Suryapet, Kothagudem, Nirmal, Wanaparthy, Nagarkurnool, Mahabubabad, Jogulamba and Medchal/Malkajgiri.
- The other 10 districts are — Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy, Mahabubnagar, Medak, Karimnagar, Adilabad, Nizamabad, Warangal, Khammam and Nalgonda.
Samajwadi smartphone scheme launched by CM Akhilesh Yadav
- UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav launched the portal of Samajwadi Smartphone Scheme under which smartphones will be distributed to people in the state ahead of Assembly election.
Samajwadi Smartphone Scheme :
- Uttar Pradesh resident who are all aged above 18, Class X passout, and earning less than Rs 6 lakh per year are eligible for this scheme.
- The applications for the Samajwadi Smartphone Yojana will be invited online from 10th October to 10th November 2016.
The word Aiyoh is now in the Oxford English Dictionary
- The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has now included “Aiyoh” and “Aiyah” in its latest addition this September.
The OED does four updates every year.
- Like many Indian words, this one is loaded and can mean many things depending on context and tone — irritation, disgust, surprise, dismay, pain, lament, disappointment, with “aiyah” and “aiyoh” being interchangeable.
Virat Kohli presented with ICC Test Championship mace
- Indian captain Virat Kohli was presented with the ICC Test Championship mace for leading his team to the top of the Test Team Rankings.
- The mace was presented by former India captain and ICC Cricket Hall of Famer Sunil Gavaskar at a ceremony following the conclusion of the third and final Test against New Zealand in Indore after the home team completed a 3-0 whitewash.
ICICI Bank Executes India’s First Transaction On Blockchain
- ICICI Bank has successfully executed transactions in international trade finance and remittances using blockchain technology in partnership with Emirates NBD.
- ICICI Bank is the first bank in the country and among the first few globally to exchange and authenticate remittance transaction messages as well as original international trade documents related to purchase order, invoice, shipping and insurance, among others, electronically on blockchain in real time.
- The usage of blockchain technology simplifies the process and makes it almost instant to only a few minutes. This is in contrast to the current process which involves a complex and lengthy paper trail that requires international shipping and courier.
- The blockchain application replicates the paper-intensive international trade finance process as an electronic decentralized ledger, that gives all the participating entities, including banks, the ability to access a single source of information.
- It also enables them to track documentation and authenticate ownership of assets digitally, as an UN-alterable ledger in real time.
ISSF World Cup 2016 Overview
- 2016 ISSF World cup held at the TSN Shooting Range in Bologna, Italy. The Champions Trophy sponsored by SIUS.
- Ace Indian shooter Jitu Rai shrugged off the disappointment of a poor Olympic campaign by clinching a silver medal in the 50m pistol event of the ISSF World Cup Final. He finished sixth in the men’s 10m air pistol event of the ISSF World Cup Final.
- Jitu Rai made the country proud yet again when he won the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Champions Trophy. The ISSF Rifle Champions Trophy was claimed by Russia’s Sergey Kamenskiy.
- Veteran marksman Sanjeev Rajput, ended his ISSF World Cup Finals campaign in themen’s Rifle 3 Positions event in 10th place.
2016 China Open Overview
- World number two Andy Murray from UK defeated Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov defeated Dimitrov 6-4 7-6 (7-2) to clinch the men’s title of the China Open on September 10 2016 . This was Murray’s fifth title of his year and the 40th of his career.
Title Winner Runner Up
- Men’s Singles Andy Murray Grigor Dimitrov
- Women’s Singles Agnieszka Radwańska Johanna Konta
- Men’s Doubles Pablo Carreño Busta / Rafael Nadal Jack Sock / Bernard Tomic,
- Women’s Doubles Bethanie Mattek-Sands / Lucie Šafářová Caroline Garcia / France Kristina Mladenovic
Russian Open badminton 2016
- Ruthvika Shivani Gadde from India won the women’s singles title after beating Evgeniya Kosetskaya 21-10, 21-13 in a 26-minute at the Russain Open badminton held in Vladivostok, Russia.
- In the same event Indian pair N Sikki Reddy and Pranaav Chopra defeated the Russian duo of Vladimir Ivanov and Valeria Sorokina 21-17 21-19 to clinched the Mixed doubles title.
Title Winner Runner Up
- Men’s singles Zulfadli Zulkiffli Siril Verma
- Women’s singles Gadde Ruthvika Shivani Evgeniya Kosetskaya
- Men’s doubles Vladimir Ivanov/ Ivan Sozonov Abramov K./Zinchenko A.
- Women’s doubles Anastasia Chervyakova/ Olga Morozova Kosetskaya E./Polikarpova K.
- Mixed doubles Pranaav Jerry Chopra /N. Sikki Reddy Ivanov V./Sorokina V.