1st Apache Helicopter Formally Handed Over To IAF
* First AH-64E (I) – Apache Guardian helicopter was formally handed over to the Indian Air Force at Boeing production facility in Arizona, USA. Air Marshal AS Butola, represented the Indian Air Force and accepted the first Apache.
* IAF had signed a contract with US Government and M/s Boeing Ltd in Sep 2015 for 22 Apache helicopters. The first batch of these helicopters is scheduled to be shipped to India by July 2019.
Actress Dia Mirza Selected Among 17 New ‘SDG Advocates’ Of UN
* Indian actress Dia Mirza and Alibaba chief Jack Ma are among the 17 global public figures appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the new advocates to drive action and solidify global political will for the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
* The new class of ‘SDG Advocates’ are 17 influential public figures “committed to raising awareness, inspiring greater ambition and pushing for faster action on the SDGs,” which were adopted by world leaders on September 25, 2015.
Bharatpe Launches India’s 1st UPI Bahi Khata For Merchants
* BharatPe – India’s first Fintech start-up enabling payments for merchants through interoperable UPI QR codes, has announced its foray into merchant services with a new app. Along with UPI payments, the app now allows merchants to manage their entire Bahi Khata and even note receivables and payables seamlessly.
Professor Tijjani Bande Announced As President, UN General Assembly
* Professor Tijjani Mohammad Bande has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly. His appointment was announced by María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, outgoing president of UNGA at a press conference in Abuja.
* Bande becomes the second Nigerian to be appointed President of UNGA after Mr. Joseph Nanven Garba who held the position between 1989 and 1990. Bande until his appointment was the permanent representative of Nigeria to UN.
Manchester City Wins Premier League Title 2019
* Manchester City clinched their fourth Premier League title (football) after winning the 2018-19 season. Manchester City registered a 4-1 victory against Brighton to accumulate 98 points, while Liverpool, who were also in the title race, finished second with 97 points.
* Dominant Manchester City have successfully retained their Premier League title on the final day of an exhilarating 2018-19 campaign. Manchester City also lifted the trophy in 2011-12, 2013-14 and 2017-18. They are the first team to win back-to-back titles since Manchester United in 2009.
MI Beat CSK By 1 Run To Win IPL 2019
* Mumbai Indians became IPL champions for the fourth time after defeating Chennai Super Kings by one run in a thrilling final in Hyderabad. Last ball dismissal of Shardul Thakur by paceman Lasith Malinga registered a final win for Mumbai over Chennai. Chasing a victory target of 150 set by Mumbai, Chennai Super Kings were restricted to 148 for 7 in stipulated 20 overs.
* Kieron Pollard top-scored with his unbeaten 41-run knock. For Chennai, Deepak Chahar accounted for three batsmen. Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the most successful wicket-keeper in the history of IPL by taking his dismissals tally to 132, surpassing his India teammate Dinesh Karthik.
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton Wins Spanish Grand Prix
* Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona, Spain and rose to the top of the Formula One world championship. Mercedes’ V. Bottas finished second, while Red Bulls’ M. Verstappen finished third.