LinkedIn appoints Ashutosh Gupta as country manager for India
*LinkedIn has appointed Ashutosh Gupta as the new country manager for India operations. Gupta will replace Mahesh Narayanan, who was the country manager for India for period from January-June 2019.
MN Rao appointed DG of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
* The Central government appointed M Nageswar Rao, as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard. Rao will replace former CBI Chief Alok Verma.
“Operation Thirst” launched by RPF
* RPF launched “Operation Thirst” to crack down selling of unauthorised Packaged Drinking Water in the railway premises. During the operation, 1371 persons were arrested for selling of packaged drinking water of unauthorised brands.
The 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index
* UN Development Programme (UNDP) has released the 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index. Highlights of the reports are:
* India’s MPI value reduced from 0.283 in 2005-06 to 0.123 in 2015-16.
India has lifted 271 million people out of poverty between 2006 and 2016, recording the fastest reductions in the multidimensional poverty index.
* India and Cambodia has reduced their MPI values the fastest among the 10 selected countries for which changes over time were analysed.
Gains for India according to the report:
* deprivation in nutrition from 44.3% in 2005-06 to 21.2% in 2015-16.
child mortality dropped from 4.5% to 2.2%.
* people deprived of cooking fuel reduced from 52.9% to 26.2%.
deprivation in sanitation from 50.4% to 24.6%.
* people deprived of drinking water reduced from 16.6% to 6.2%.
Prasar Bharati signs MoU with IIT Kanpur for research collaboration
* India’s largest public broadcasting agency, Prasar Bharati has signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with IIT, Kanpur (Indian Institute of Technology) for research collaboration in newly emerging technologies and broadcasting-related areas in New Delhi.
* This will help in boosting research activities in the broadcasting field.
* The areas of cooperation would be Direct to mobile broadcasting, Convergence of 5G, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Incubation Centre and internship for students of IIT, Kanpur at Prasar Bharati .
Reebok announced Katrina Kaif as the new brand ambassador
* Fitness brand Reebok appointed Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as its new brand ambassador in India. This will enhance Reebok’s commitment to be the best fitness brand in India.
Mexico wins CONCACAF Gold Cup final
* Mexico defeated USA to claim their eighth CONCACAF Gold Cup title. *Jonathan Dos Santos scored the winning goal in 73rd min for Mexico in the thrilling final.
Sunil Chhetri and Ashalata Devi conferred with top honours at AIFF Awards
* Sunil Chhetri, Indian men’s football team captain named the Men’s Footballer of the year 2019 at the All India Football Federation‘s (AIFF) Awards.
* He won the award for the third consecutive year.
* He is also the second-highest active international scorer after Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo.
* In women’s category, it was conferred to footballer Ashalata Devi.