PM Modi launches PM Matsya Sampada Yojana and e-Gopala App
* Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has launched the PM Matsya Sampada Yojana and e-Gopala App through video conference. Apart from this he also launched various initiatives related to fisheries production, dairy, animal husbandry and agriculture in Bihar virtually.
* Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana has been launched in 21 states with an outlay of Rs 20,050 crore for a period of 5 years (during 2020-21 to 2024-25). The scheme aims to bring about the Blue Revolution through the sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India.
* The government aims to double fish exports in the coming 3-4 years.
The e-Gopala app is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for the direct use of farmers. It will give all the information related to cattle care, from productivity to its health and diet. The app will help the farmers to choose better quality livestock without the help of middlemen, which will make it easier for cattle owners to buy and sell animals.
First batch of five Rafale aircraft formally inducted into Indian Air Force
* The first batch of five Rafale fighter jets was formally inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) on 10 September 2020 at the Air Force Station in Ambala.
* They have been inducted in the Indian Air Force’s 17 Squadron ‘Golden Arrows’ based in Ambala.
* The first five Rafale aircraft had arrived from France on 27 July 2020.
The multi-role Rafale jets have been built by French aerospace major Dassault Aviation.
* India had signed an inter-governmental agreement with France in 2016 to procure 36 of the aircraft at a cost of Rs 59,000 crore
* The delivery of all 36 aircraft is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2021.
Crisil projects India’s GDP for FY21 at -9%; For FY22 at 10%
* CRISIL has projected India’s GDP rate for 2020-21 (FY21) at -9%
For FY22, Crisil has projected India’s GDP to grow at 10%.
* For the next three years, between fiscals 2023 and 2025, CRISIL projects the Indian GDP to average a growth of 6.2% annually.
India ranked 105th in Global Economic Freedom Index 2020; Top- Hong Kong
* India (Score- 6.56/10) has been ranked 105th in the Global Economic Freedom Index 2020 released by the Fraser Institute, Canada. HongKong (Score- 8.94/10) has topped the ranking followed by Singapore at the second spot.
* India has fallen 26 spots from 79th spot in last year’s ranking. Venezuela has been ranked last among 162 countries. The rankings are prepared based on the data of the year 2018.
Moody’s forecasts India’s GDP at -11.5% for FY21, 10.6% for FY22
* Ratings agency Moody’s has projected the GDP growth rate for India to contract 11.5 percent in the fiscal 2020-21 (FY21) due to the coronavirus pandemic.
* For 2021-22 (FY22), Moody’s projected the economy of India to grow at 10.6 percent.
Preeti Sudan appointed to WHO’s Panel For Pandemic Preparedness
* Former Health Secretary of India, Preeti Sudan has been appointed as a member of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response of the World Health Organisation.
* The global panel will evaluate international response to the Covid-19 pandemic and submit a report by May 2021 to the World Health Assembly.
Paresh Rawal appointed as chairperson of National School of Drama
* Veteran Bollywood actor Paresh Rawal has been appointed as Chairman of National School of Drama (NSD), India’s premier theatre school under the Ministry of Culture.
* The 65-year-old Rawal has been appointed to the post for a period of four years.
* The post of NSD chairperson has been officially vacant since 2017.
CARE Ratings projects India’s GDP to contact between 8-8.2% in FY21
* Indian rating agency, CARE Ratings has projected the GDP of India to contract in the range 8 to 8.2% for 2020-21 (FY21).
* This is more than its earlier projection of -6.4%. The forecast for GVA growth in FY21 is -7.7%.
UNICEF ropes in Ayushmann Khurrana as celebrity advocate for children’s rights campaign
* UNICEF India has appointed Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana as its celebrity advocate for children’s rights campaign ’For Every Child’.
* Khurrana will support UNICEF towards ending violence against children, by working towards this initiative in India.
Jane Fraser named the first female CEO of Citigroup
* Citigroup has named Jane Fraser as its next chief executive officer. She will be the first female CEO of this major global bank.
* She will succeed Michael Corbat, who is retiring in February 2021.
Subhash Kamath elected as Chairman of ASCI
* Subhash Kamath has been elected as the chairman of the board of governors of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
* He is the chief executive at advertising agency BBH & Publicis Worldwide, India.
* He will replace Rohit Gupta, president, Sony Pictures Networks.
Indian Film ‘The Disciple’ by Chaitanya Tamhane wins Best Screenplay award at Venice Film Festival 2020
* The Marathi language feature film ‘The Disciple’ written and directed by Mumbai-based filmmaker Chaitanya Tamhane, has bagged the prestigious FIPRESCI award for Best Screenplay at the 77th Venice Film Festival.
* The annual Venice International Film Festival 2020 was held from 2 to 12 September 2020.
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 Tuscan Grand Prix 2020
* Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One Tuscan Grand Prix 2020 held on September 13, 2020. This was his 6th win of the season and 90th F1 win of his career.
* Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) came second followed by Alexander Albon (Red Bull – Thailand) at third place.
* The Tuscan Grand Prix (first edition) was the ninth race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
Japan’s Naomi Osaka beats Victoria Azarenka to win US Open Tennis Tournament
* In Tennis, Japan’s Naomi Osaka defeated Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, 1-6, ,6-3, 6-3, to clinch the Women’s Singles title in the 2020 US Open Tennis tournament
* This is the third Grand Slam title for the fourth seed Osaka.
* The 22-year old Osaka previously won the title at the 2018 US Open and 2019 Australian Open.
* She is now the first Asian player to win three Grand Slam singles titles.
* The victory has moved up Osaka to number 3 in the world rankings.