Current Affairs Pocket : 10th May 2018
Walmart Buys Flipkart In World’s Largest E-Commerce Deal
- US-based retail giant Walmart confirmed that it will buy 77% stake in India’s largest e-commerce startup Flipkart for $16 billion.
- The acquisition, which is the largest e-commerce deal in the world, will value the homegrown startup at a reported amount of $20.8 billion.
Ravi Shankar Prasad Launches Website Of Digital India Internship Scheme
- Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad launched the website of Digital India Internship Scheme in New Delhi. Under this scheme, 25 interns will be inducted for a period of three months. These interns will be paid a stipend of 10 thousand rupees per month.
- The internship is an opportunity for a student to secure first hand and practical work experience under the guidance of qualified and experienced Supervisor and Mentor.
India, Panama Sign 2 Agreements
- India and Panama have signed 2 agreements on the exemption of Visas for holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports and in the field of Agriculture. These agreements were signed during the second leg of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu.
- These ties are based on common values and a shared commitment to democracy, pluralism, and multi-culturalism of both the countries. 2 centres for Biodiversity and Innovation will be setup by India in Panama worth US $10 mn and US $15 mn each.
FB Appoints Product Exec Chris Daniels To Take Over WhatsApp
- Facebook announced that the company’s Vice President of Product Chris Daniels will be taking over Whatsapp after Co-founder Jan Koum announced his departure, recently.
- In his new role, former Internet.org VP Daniels will report to Facebook’s Chief Product Officer. Daniels has been working with Facebook for more than seven years and previously worked for Microsoft in product management.
15th Finance Commission Constituted Advisory Council
- The 15th Finance Commission has constituted an advisory council to advise and assist the commission. The six-member council will be headed by the President of Forum for Strategic Initiatives, Arvind Virmani.
- The role and functions of the council will be to advise the commission on any issue or subject related to the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Commission. Besides, the council will also assist the commission in the preparation of any paper or research study which will enhance the Commission’s understanding on the issues containing in its ToR.