UN ESCAP forcast India’s GDP for FY21 at 4.8%
* The UN ‘Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) 2020 forecast India’s GDP for FY21 at 4.8%. It also warned that the COVID-19 pandemic is expected to result in significant adverse economic impact globally. The title of the UN report ‘Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) 2020: Towards sustainable economies’.
* India’s GDP growth for the fiscal year 2019-2020 was estimated at 5% and is forecast to slow down to 4.8% for the current fiscal 2020-21. Economic growth for the country could stand at 5.1% for the fiscal year 2021-22.
‘Operation SHIELD’ launched in Delhi
* Delhi Government has launched the ‘Operation SHIELD’ to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the national capital. The Operation SHIELD will be implemented in 21 containment zones as a necessary action to protect the people of Delhi from COVID-19.
* The Operation SHIELD has been launched by the Delhi Government in order to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the national capital. This will be implemented in 21 containment areas.
Government of India sanctions Rs. 15000 crores package to boost health infrastructure
* Government of India (GoI) has announced to allocate Rs. 15000 crores for ‘India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package’. The funds sanctioned will be utilized for immediate COVID-19 Emergency Response (amount of Rs.7774 crores) and rest for medium-term support (1-4 years) to be provided under mission mode approach.
* The Package includes mounting emergency response to slow and limit COVID-19 in India through the development of diagnostics and COVID-19 dedicated treatment facilities, centralized procurement of essential medical equipment and drugs required for treatment of infected patients, strengthen and build resilient National and State health systems to support prevention and preparedness for future disease outbreaks, setting up of laboratories and bolster surveillance activities, bio-security preparedness, pandemic research and proactively engage communities and conduct risk communication activities.
* The funds will also help in increasing the production of PPEs (Personal Protection Equipment), ventilators, ICU and other essential equipment.
Mary Jordan writes book on Melania Trump
* The Pulitzer Prize-winning American reporter for The Washington Post, Mary Jordan has written a book titled ‘The Art of Her Deal: The Untold Story of Melania Trump’. It is published by Simon & Schuster and is to be released on June 16, 2020. The book is based on 100 interviews, which depicts Melania Trump, the first woman to be more influential in the White House than most people realize.
Anamika Roy Rashtrawar appointed as MD & CEO of IFFCO Tokio
* IFFCO Tokio General Insurance has appointed Anamika Roy Rashtrawar as the new Managng Director & Chief Executive Officer of the company. She will take over Warendra Sinha who was leading the company from past three years. After taking over as the MD & CEO of IFFCO Tokio General Insurance, Anamika Roy Rashtrawar will become the first woman MD and CEO of a large private sector general insurance company in India.