Current Affairs Pocket: 10-11 November 2020
Daniil Medvedev defeats Alexander Zverev to win his maiden Paris Masters 2020
* World No.5 Daniil Medvedev of Russia has won the 2020 Rolex Paris Masters title by defeating World No.7 Alexander Zverev of Germany, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 on 08 November 2020.
* This is the maiden Paris Masters title of Medvedev.
* The Paris Masters is an annual tennis tournament for male professional players held in Paris, France.
Indian Diplomat Vidisha Maitra elected to UN Advisory Committee- ACABQ
* An Indian diplomat Vidisha Maitra has been elected to the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ).
* She will serve for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2021.
* ACABQ is a subsidiary organ of the General Assembly, which ensures that fund contributions to the UN system are put to good effect and that mandates are properly funded.
* Maitra was one of two nominated candidates from the Group of Asia-Pacific States, the other being Ali Mohammed Faeq Al-Dabag of Iraq.
Indian Oil Corp (IOC) director Akshay Kumar Singh appointed as new MD & CEO of Petronet LNG
* Akshay Kumar Singh, the Indian Oil Corp (IOC) director-pipelines, has been appointed as the new managing director and chief executive of Petronet LNG Ltd, India’s biggest gas importer.
* Singh replaces Prabhat Singh who completed his five-year term on September 13, 2020.
Malayalam author S Hareesh wins the JCB Prize for Literature 2020
* Malayalam writer S Hareesh has won the JCB Prize for Literature for 2020 for his novel Moustache. It is his debut novel.
* The novel has been translated into English by Jayasree Kalathil and published by HarperCollins India.
* While the Malayalam author will receive cash prize of Rs. 25 lakh the translator will receive an additional Rs. 10 lakh.
Azim Premji tops Edelgive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020
* Azim Premji, the founder-chairman of Wipro Ltd has topped the EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020.
* The 75-year-old, made the highest contribution of Rs 7,904 crore between April 2019 and March 2020 towards philanthropic causes.
* The EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020 is compiled by the EdelGive Foundation and Hurun Research Institute. It is the seventh edition of the annual list.
* It ranks individuals from India who donated Rs 5 crore and above between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020 towards philanthropic contributions.
* Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman of HCL Technologies, ranked second (Rs 795 crore) on the list. He topped the list in 2019.
* India’s richest man and the chairman of Reliance Industries, Mukesh Ambani stood at the third spot (Rs 458 crore).
Assam’s Tezpur Litchi gets GI tag
* The Tezpur Litchi of Assam has been granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag, making this item an incontrovertible proof of their origins in the state, and protecting them from production elsewhere.
* A GI tag is a name given to certain products that have a specific geographical location or origin.
Former chief secretary MM Kutty to be chairperson of CAQM
* Former Chief Secretary of Delhi, M.M. Kutty was appointed as the chairperson of Commission for Air Quality Management(CAQM) in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas. The CAQM was formed on October 28 after dissolving several pollution-monitoring bodies, including most prominently the 22-year-old, Environment Pollution Prevention & Control Authority (EPCA) that has so far addressed air pollution in the Delhi NCR. This body will perform the job of coordinating activities between the State.
Mumbai Indians wins IPL 2020 trophy
* Mumbai Indians defeated Delhi Capitals in the final of Dream11 Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 to lift their fifth IPL trophy. Chasing 157 runs for victory, Mumbai were helped by their captain Rohit Sharma, who hit 68 runs off 51 balls. Mumbai had defeated Chennai Super Kings in the IPL 2019 final. They have now become the only side after Chennai Super Kings to defend the title.
* Kings XI Punjab skipper KL Rahul bagged the Orange Cap for being the leading run-scorer of the IPL 2020. He racked up 670 runs from 14 games at an astronomical average of 55.83. Delhi Capitals’ Kagiso Rabada won the Purple Cap after finishing at the top of the table with a total of 30 wickets at the end of IPL 2020.
Here are the award winners:
* Rohit Sharma adjudged Game Changer of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
* Trent Boult named the Player of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
* Kings XI Punjab skipper KL Rahul bags the Orange Cap.
* Game Changer of the Season: KL Rahul.
* Delhi Capitals’ Kagiso Rabada wins the Purple Cap.
* Emerging Player of the season: Devdutt Padikkal (RCB).
* Rajasthan Royals speedster Jofra Archer emerges as the Most Valuable Player.