India’s first lichen park developed in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand
* India’s first lichen park has been established in Kumaon’s Munsiyari village of Pithoragarh district in Uttarakhand, by the state forest department, to protect, conserve and cultivate lichen, which are the best bioindicators of the pollution levels..
* The park is spread across an area of 1.5 acres, with over 80 species of lichens collected from across the Himalayan state.
* Lichens are found in the Himalayas at a height of about 5000 metres, and are important species as they are the natural indicator of pollution levels in an area. If pollution levels increase in a certain area, the lichen species decline there.
Former RBI Governor C Rangarajan Conferred with First ‘P C Mahalanobis Award in Official Statistics’ for lifetime achievements
* Former Reserve Bank of India governor Chakravarthi Rangarajan, has been conferred with the first Prof. P C Mahalanobis Award in Official Statistics for lifetime achievements on the occasion of the National Statistics Day on 29 June 2020, by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
* The award has been instituted by MoSPI from 2020, and will henceforth be awarded annually for outstanding and meritorious contribution of an individual for the development and promotion of official statistics.
GoI extends KK Venugopal’s term as Attorney General of India
* Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the extension of KK Venugopal’s term as the Attorney General of India. KK Venugopal’s term has been extended for a period of one year with effect from 1st July 2020. His first term as attorney general of India commenced in July 2017 when he succeeded Mukul Rohtagi after his resignation from the post.
* ACC has also approved the reappointment of Solicitor General Tushar Mehta for a period of three years. ACC has also appointed Chetan Sharma as the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) for Delhi High Court. ACC has also re-appointed the existing five Additional Solicitor General (ASG) for another period of 3 years in the Supreme Court.
Karnataka government launches portal “Skill Connect Forum”
* Karnataka government has launched a portal called “Skill Connect Forum”. The portal seeks to connect job seekers with employers on a common platform. It also provides job seekers information on available jobs. Hence, the portal will bridge the gap between job seekers and the employers.
* Any individual can register on the “Skill Connect Forum” portal by uploading their details such as qualification, skill sets and other details. In the same manner, employers will also register on the portal which will match the requirement and availability. If a person is unemployed, he will be imparted a skill and then enabled to get a job.
Madhya Pradesh to Launch Door-To-Door “Kill Corona” Drive From July 1
* The Madhya Pradesh government has announced to launch 15-day long ‘Kill Corona’ campaign in the state from 1st July 2020 to control the spread of coronavirus in the state.
* Under the campaign, a door-to-door survey will be conducted and tests would also be done on citizens for other diseases.
Around 2.5 lakh tests will be carried out and 15,000 to 20,000 samples would be collected daily.