Defending champion Karnataka wins Ranji Trophy 2015
Defending champion Karnataka on 12 March 2015 won Ranji Trophy for season 2014-2015.
Karnataka defeated Tamil Nadu by an innings and 217 runs in the final day of match played at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai. With this victory, Karnataka clinched eight Ranji title. The man of the match was Karnataka’s Karun Nair who had scored 338 runs. The captain of Karnataka team was R Vinay Kumar and of Tamil Nadu team was Abhinav Mukund.
Karnataka’s previous Ranji Trophy wins-
First Ranji Title won by Karnataka was in season 1973–74. Later, they had won the championship title in 1977–78, 1982–83, 1995–96, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2013–14 and 2014–15 season.
In Ranji Title season 2013–14, they had defeated Mumbai.
Union Government launches Pharma Jan Samadhan scheme for redressal of grievances on drugs pricing
Union Government has launched Pharma Jan Samadhan scheme, for redressal of grievances of consumers related to drug pricing and availability of medicines.
It was launched by Union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister Ananth Kumar in New Delhi.
About Pharma Jan Samadhan scheme
* The scheme is a web-enabled system created by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA).
* It seeks to serve as a robust E-governance tool for protection of interests of consumers through effective implementation of the price of drugs.
* The scheme will provide consumers with an online facility to redress their complaints related to over-pricing of medicines, non-availability of medicines and refusal of supply for sale of any medicine without good and sufficient reason.
* After receiving the complaint, NPPA will initiate action on any complaint within 48 hrs.
* The scheme also seeks to create awareness among the people and act as a deterrent against black-marketing, spurious medicines and inflated cost of drugs by creating phama-literacy initiative.
N Sakthan elected Kerala Assembly Speaker
Congress legislator and deputy speaker N Shakthan was elected as the new speaker of the Kerala Assembly on 12 March 2015.
It was announced by Pro-tem Speaker Dominic Presentation. Shakthan defeated CPI (M) candidate P. Aysha Potty by 74 to 66 votes. N Shakthan will replace G. Karthikeyan who had died on March 8, 2015. Prior to speaker election, he had resigned as Deputy Speaker of the Assembly on 10 March 2015.
Shakthan is incumbent Member of the Legislative Assembly (M.L.A) from Kattakada constituency in Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala.
He belongs to Nadar community, a powerful segment in Southern Kerala, particularly in Thiruvananthapuram district.