Cabinet Approves 10% Job Quota For ‘Economically Weaker’ Upper Castes
- The Union Cabinet approved a 10% reservation for ‘economically backward’ upper castes in government jobs.
- Ahead of the General Elections this year, the government has announced reservation in jobs for those belonging to the upper castes and earning less than Rs 8 lakh per year. A bill to amend Article 15 and 16 of the constitution will be moved in Parliament to this effect.
CSO Forecasts Indian Economy To Grow At 7.2% In 2018-19
- Releasing the first advance estimates of National Income for 2018-19, Central Statistics Office (CSO) stated that the growth in GDP during 2018-19 is estimated at 7.2% as compared to the growth rate of 6.7% in 2017-18, mainly due to improvement in the performance of agriculture and manufacturing sectors.
- Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg described the 7.2% GDP growth projection as very healthy. Mr. Garg stated that India continued to remain the fastest growing economy in the world and at current prices, GDP grows by 12.3% rising to 188. 41 lakh crore.
Alok Verma Reinstated As CBI Chief By Supreme Court
- Alok Verma has been reinstated as the CBI chief by the Supreme Court, three months after the government divested him of his powers and sent him on forced leave. Alok Verma and his deputy Rakesh Asthana were both sent on leave in October amid a bitter feud between the CBI’s top two.
- Supreme Court strikes down CBI Chief Alok Verma’s removal. However, at present, Alok Verma cannot take any major policy decisions.
- Supreme Court stated that the High Power Committee under the DSPE Act needs to act within a week to consider Alok Verma’s case.
- Supreme Court also stated that the government should have referred to the Select Committee consisting of the Chief Justice of India, Prime Minister and Leader of Opposition to initiate Alok Verma’s removal.
Kumar Rajesh Chandra Appointed Director-General of SSB
- Civil Aviation Security head and senior IPS officer Kumar Rajesh Chandra was appointed as the director general of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Chandra, a 1985-batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre, is at present the director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS). He has been appointed as SSB DG up to December 31, 2021, i.e., the date of his superannuation, the order said.
Sheikh Hasina Sworn-In As Bangladesh PM For 4th Term
- Sheikh Hasina sworn-in as the Bangladesh Prime Minister for the 4th term. It is her third consecutive term after her victory in the 11th Parliamentary elections.
- President Mohammad Abdul Hamid administered the oath of office to Sheikh Hasina in Dhaka. This is the first time Hasina is forming a cabinet with the members of her own party.